How could Service Virtualization enhance your Agile Testing Strategy?
How could Service Virtualization enhance your Agile Testing Strategy?
How often you push your “Phone Updates” to a later date as an update install means your phone would not be available to work. Even though the updates just take a couple of minutes, but in a fast-paced world where a minute delay could mean a lot, non-availability of services for a fraction of seconds frustrate you.
Often the similar situation is faced by a Tester/QA while performing his daily testing jobs – environments are not up, dependencies are ambiguous, developers/business users need the SIT environment and ‘n’ number of such reasons.
That’s where Service Virtualization comes into the picture!
In fact, Service Virtualization is all about continuity and boosting agility!
What is Service Virtualization?
Service Virtualization in laymen terms is providing services in a virtual manner. Just like on the internet you have virtual friends, virtual classroom or virtual 3D view of an art gallery, in a similar fashion the services exist for a tester/QA to test, but are not the real services.
Service Virtualization by its means simplifies the issues faced by a Service-Oriented Architecture [SOA] testing strategy. By providing a virtual set-up of services, it speeds up the testing and development process.
A quick example that I could think of is “market data” provided by Bloomberg, Reuters, ACTIVE, WOMBAT that is the lifeline of many investment firms. But for a tester to test the market data scenarios they are connected either with a simulator or a different service that stores the recorded data [ a replica of live data].
By connecting to a virtual service, testing is continuous, and the live environment does not get affected.
How Service Virtualization Could Enhance Agile Testing
Technology is making things simpler for the end users, but complexity is hidden beneath under wraps giving a tough time to developers and testers. Be it chatbots, Pokemon Go or a virtual reality venture showcasing you hotel suites from your living room, the building/testing of tools and apps is not simple enough. To streamline the testing/developing process service virtualization when combined with #Agile becomes handy –
- Get Continuous – Bid goodbye to delays and waiting time for services from production, DevOps could now leverage virtual services and boost continuous testing.
- Integration is Seamless – With virtual services present at your disposal, integration testing is just a matter of connection and few clicks.
- Real Time Analysis – With virtual services, the analysis could be done real time helping in finding issues at an early stage.
- Cost Efficient – With increased complexity of components, simulating them for development/testing environment could be a risky affair. Service virtualization helps in reducing that cost but still provides the benefit of a real-life scenario.
- Enables Parallel Testing – With virtual services, testers/QA could test the pre-prod/UAT environment in parallel accelerating time-to-market and providing a quality software.
- Competitive Advantage – With Service Virtualization firms could process parallel development, quick fixes and boost quality that provides an added benefit when compared to companies following the linear development strategy.
- Good fit to ever changing requirements – In agile when requirements are ever-evolving, virtual services with their flexibility and easy-to-use parameters helps in maintaining the continuity and still follow the Agile process.
- Collaborate, Share and Grow – With multiple teams working on the assets, it gets tough to share the resources in Agile, but service virtualization facilitates on-demand access to resources anytime to any group.
- Test anytime – With virtual services you can test anytime, be it functional, integration or performance testing.
As in our last post, we saw “ The Best Practices of Continuous Agile Testing” we know continuity is the key for any software/tool to survive. With service virtualization, we are a step closer to make it continuous agile and quality-assured!
LIKE THIS POST SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS
Continuous Testing and Cloud are essential part of any Agile Team
A flowing river or a growing plant are all viewed with positivity and respect! Same applies to the software’s and technology, the one whose updates are stalled, start losing their existence. Is anyone using Windows XP? Or a Nokia Phone? Or any of your neighbor who has a CRT Television?
Continuity is Life!
To support Continuity in an SDLC be it for Continuous Testing or Continuous Delivery, Cloud plays a vital role, and this post would exclusively talk about the same –
What Are the Features Of Continuous Testing?
If we want a software to live longer we need to make it adaptable to latest technology and trends and to achieve it; the software may undergo frequent changes. How do you then ensure the frequent changes are not affecting the quality of the software? And how frequently could you release the new changes to your client? Hence, we need continuous Testing to –
- Test Early – Finding issues with walkthroughs and analysis in the requirement or Design Phase
- Test Faster – Discovering gray areas with the tools like TestNG or MAVEN
- Test Often – Using JENKINS one could get a daily build and track problems on regular basis
- Automate Testing – Using tools like Selenium could help in automating test cases and provide faster results
How Could Cloud Help in Achieving Continuous Testing
What is Cloud-Based Testing
Cloud Based Testing is when testing is executed with the use of Cloud computing that could help in reducing time-to- market because of easy deployment and assist in collaborating with the different teams in an Agile Team.
What Are the Advantages Offered by Cloud in Continuous Testing?
Cloud Computing Offers
- Easy Collaboration – With a new feature Dev Team could introduce changes, QA could design specific use cases, and DevOps could deploy and manage the environments with the easy access cloud computing offers.
- Deployment is Quick – When compared to on-premise deployment, deployment is quick saving time and resources.
- Access Anytime Anyplace – No matter which geographic location you are, Cloud allows you to access the environment from anywhere anytime. That means Testing on the go!
- Expand the possibility of Testing-As- A-Service[TAAS] – With Cloud Platform serving as Platform-As- A-Service[PAAS] it reduces the glitch of accessing hardware and thereby speeding the process of continuous testing
- Tasks Gets Streamlined – With cloud and agile teams working in collaboration, dev team could concentrate on development, QA on their test scripts, execution, and component testing while devops on performance and deliveries.
- Produces Results on the go – Share your results with stakeholders, and other team members as they get executed.
- Incremental Testing a Possibility – Need to upgrade your environment to latest OS or the latest version of Java, tweaking a setting and running the additional testing makes continuous testing an opportunity.
- Integration Testing is Seamless – Need to integrate different systems to run an integrated test, with cloud you need to configure it just once and could repetitively use it for your testing.
- Secure Database Checks – With customized Database as an offering it is easy for testers to perform data validation and field checks.
- Enhances Productivity – A user can evaluate project performance, gauge product development and verify testing results allowing you to stay on track and improve productivity.
With technology, we have seen a change in every phase of SDLC, while traditional methods of testing had been cumbersome and time-consuming. Continuous Testing in collaboration with Cloud could lead to provide more scalable, robust and quality products to our users.