Top 5 Software Testing Tools for 2020
Software Testing is a method to evaluate the functionality of a software program with an intent to find out whether the application is meeting the specified requirements or not. The process aids in identifying the loopholes of a program, which, in return, ensures a defect-free product.
There are many Software testing tools available in the market to simplify this.
Software tools play a significant role in the SDLC, and it is very crucial to use them well for the success of a program. These tools help in detecting bugs in a product, and intelligently address the testing challenges.
Owing to the massive competition present in the market, selecting the best tool for your business is a tedious job. So as to assist you, we have crafted the list of top 5 software testing tools along with their features. Intrigued? Scroll Down to know more-
Selenium, an open-source web automation tool used for web-browser test automation and cross-browser testing. This tool can automate across different OS like Linux, Mac, Windows, and browsers like Chrome, IE, Firefox, plus the Headless Browsers. For availing this software, the testers need to possess advanced programming skills for writing test scripts. These skills help in building automation frameworks and libraries for specific requirements. Selenium also offers playback and record features with its browser addition of Selenium IDE. Equipped with a robust Selenium WebDriver, Selenium permits you to generate browser-based regression automation tests and suits.
- It is an open-source tool
- Requires lesser resources in comparison to other software testing tools.
- Supports multiple OS
- Support parallel test execution
- Equipped with a powerful Selenium Web Driver
Ranorex is an all-in-one software for test automation. With more than 14,000 users globally, Ranorex allows the execution and setup of test automation scripts. Its code less click-and-go interface makes this tool quite easy for beginners’ usage. Also, it is quite powerful for automation experts with a complete IDE for VB.NET or C#, and open APIs. Ranorex offers reusable code modules, GUI object recognition, and script-free functionality. The specialty of this tool is that it provides similar functionality to integrated suite vendors with lower maintenance and cost licenses.
- Delivers strong object recognition
- Developer Friendly
- Offers an affordable pricing model
- Has functional UI and end-to-end testing on web, desktop, and mobile.
- Run tests remotely or locally.
- Possess a robust reporting system.
- A robust partner network.
- It offers reusable test components.
- Supports functional testing across different devices.
- Supports agile development.
- Increasing support for new browsers.
4. IBM Rational Function Tester
RFT (Rational Functional tester) is a commercial automation testing tool from IBM’s larger rational testing platform. RFT uses data-driven testing to automate regression and functional testing. RFT supports a variety of programs and permits both the test scripting and storyboard testing. Storyboard Testing is a unique functionality in which the test script is recorded as a sequence of actions performed against the application under test. RFT also backs-up a range of development environments like Net, Siebel, Java, SAP, Flex, PowerBuilder, and others. RFT offers integration with IBM Jazz application lifecycle management like Rational Quality Manager and IBM Rational Team Concert.
- Part of IBM’s larger rational testing platform
- Supports two scripting languages- VB.Net and Java
- Automates functional and regression testing
- Backs up a wide range of development environments.
- Supports legacy networks and platforms.
- Offers dependable toolkit.
5. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio, an open-source automation tool, is popularly known for supporting the mobile and web environment. Built on the top of Appium and Selenium, Katalon Studio is power-packed with basic functionality that is only available in the commercial tools while being a free solution. The tool has the support of the external Java library and avails Groovy as a scripting language. Katalon also permits the re-usage of Selenium scripts written in Java, which is to be used in the tool. It also works smoothly with continuous integration systems like Bamboo, TeamCity, and Jenkins. User-friendly IDE, object spy, object repository, and browser plugin are some of the additional features of Katalon Studio.
- An open-source automation tool.
- Out of the box integration with JIRA and qTest.
- Backs-up Agile team with CI workflow.
- Dual scripting interface for advanced users.
- Easy to use for non-programmers.
The list is not exhaustive, but we have pointed out the best in the market, which is not only popular but mature. Each of the above-mentioned offers some unique features which help in the improvisation of the software quality. Also, remember that the choice of your testing tool should not only meet your current requirements but has an emphasis on potential improvements and trends. Hopefully, we have provided enough details on the testing tools to dispose of them off for your usage. Happy Testing!
Talk to our Test Engineers
Fast track your ecommerce monitoring